Sunday, May 31, 2009

How to survive a music festival in style

I've just written my second 'Foreign Correspondent' article for my friend Kirsty's business - Ciao Bella Travel. Check out the website if you haven't already - you can find the first article I wrote and buy some of their great single shots while you're there!

It’s warming up here and England is beginning to embrace summer. And that means festival season is here. There are dozens to choose from…Glastonbury, Latitude, Bestival, The Big Chill and V Festival to name just a few.

If you didn’t grow up in a commune with hippy parents (I didn’t), or you generally book a boutique hotel with a pillow menu and a 4 star restaurant for weekends away (I do), then festival-going may initially present a few hardships for you - it did for me.

But despite having to rough it in a tent, the lack of showers, the state of the portaloos, and all that mud, I love going to festivals for the live music and even livelier atmosphere.

In a few weeks I am returning to Glastonbury so while I make plans for 4 fun-filled days, here are my tips for surviving a music festival.

Pack lightly. You’ll need to carry your bag (not a wheelie suitcase) and camping gear from one field to another to find your pitch so stick to one change of clothes for each day with layers for the evening, and a waterproof jacket (expect rain).

Essential kit includes tent & pegs, hammer, sleeping bag, blow up mattress or yoga mat, pillow, ear plugs, torch and sleeping mask.

Don’t bother with provisions – you will find fare from around the world for breakfast, lunch and dinner; and you can’t take drinks into the grounds.

Wear wellies. You can wear these all day, all night, and with anything - Kate Moss does! If you don’t own any, do buy some. It’s no place for heels but I’ve seen girls try! Oh, and always wear them with thick socks.

Festival chic. Minimal make-up is the way to go - waterproof mascara, a dab of concealer and sunscreen will do it. Up-dos, a hat or scarf and dry shampoo will resolve hair dilemmas. Don’t forget your sunnies. Please leave fairy wings at home.

Baby wipes, loo roll and hand sanitiser. The baby wipes – lots of them -are for in-tent showering. Keep the loo roll and hand sanitising gel on you at all times (remember to join the queue before you’re in dire need). Only bring basic toiletries to supplement these – running water is in short supply.

Charge your mobile. You will inevitably be separated from your friends - save your battery power for finding them. A rendezvous point is always a good plan B.

Carefree, sunny disposition. As Debrett’s Etiquette for Girls suggests, the premise of all festivals is peace, unity, love and fun so moaning and complaining are off-limits. Make friends with fellow revellers and your neighbouring tents.

And finally, take the time to enjoy all the festival has to offer. You will never see every band that’s playing - make a hit list and compromise with your friends. Explore the grounds and people watch.

If it still sounds like your worst nightmare but you want a taste of the action, you can always buy a one-day ticket to the Wireless Festival in Hyde Park and have all the fun without the mess.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jaimee Lewis said...

Nice post! I like your style :)