Sunday, November 29, 2009

Kicking off the festive season in London

This is the article I wrote for last week's Ciao Bella enewsletter. It's what I'll be getting up to over the next couple of weeks.

The pumpkins have been made into a hearty soup. The fireworks have been let off to commemorate the night Guy Fawkes attempted to set fire to the Houses of Parliament. The non-denominational lights hanging above Oxford Street have been switched on. And I’ve dug out my winter coat from the back of the cupboard and put away my trench. Yes, it’s the beginning of the festive season in London.

At Christmas I tend to feel further from home than I do for the rest of the year so I go to extra lengths to feel festive and cheery as I count down to the big day. And with all of London’s Christmas trimmings you can’t help but embrace it.

So how to get into the spirit of the season?

Before all your nights are booked up with parties, go and see a performance. I’ll be going to see Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake at Sadler’s Wells which isn’t necessarily seasonal, but other good choices are the Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night at the Duke of York Theatre or carols at St Paul’s Cathedral for something more traditional.

Take in some fresh air at the one-off winter opening of the Chelsea Physic Garden for their Christmas Fair. Or glide around the ice rink in the impressive surrounds of the Natural History Museum and reward yourself for braving the elements with a mug of hot chocolate at the pop up cafe.

Have a more peaceful shopping experience and buy something a little different for your friends & family at the Cockpit Arts Open Studio in Holborn. Spitalfields, Marylebone High Street and Columbia Road (doing late night Wednesdays in December) are also great destinations away from the main high streets.

Afterwards, rug up with a blanket and a glass of warm cider on the rooftop terrace at Conran’s lastest project, The Boundary in Shoreditch. I’m having my annual meal of roast turkey and pud with friends at the Harwood Arms, Time Out’s 2009 Best Gastropub.

In amongst all the festivities, nip across to the continent for some mulled wine at the Christmas markets and pick up some stocking fillers while you’re there. This year, I’m heading to Vienna but there are charming markets in Germany, Belgium and France as well a number of other countires.

Back at home, hop on the ‘make do and mend’ band wagon and attend a Christmas wreath making session at Petersham Nurseries (use it as an excuse to go to their amazing restaurant!), or make your own decorations with kits from Jamie Oliver’s growing empire. If DIY really isn’t your scene you can always deck your halls at Selfridges’s Christmas Shop.

And before it’s too late, learn to resist the temptation to buy presents for everyone you’ve ever met and attend a talk on Frugality at The School of Life. Your Mastercard will thank you for it in January!


Merry Christmas from chilly London! x

No comments: